Thursday 17 February 2011

365/363: 17 February 2011: A rather tatty briefcase

Yep – it’s tatty – but then – it is more than 30 years old, and it’s been everywhere with me. It’s an original Mulberry Reporter’s Bag from 1977 if my memory serves me correctly – in fact it’s the prototype and it was given to me as a leaving gift by the then MD after several summer holidays working at Mulberry  during my time at uni.

It’s covered in scars  - acetone and nitric acid from my time in the labs, indelible newsprint where I used it on trips to London and elsewhere. It once held the Reading evening paper where I saw the ad for our first house. At a push it’s contained a shirt – and it’s so old it doesn’t even have a pocket for a mobile phone.

Every so often I think I might throw it out and buy a replacement, but in truth I’ve become rather attached to it .  It reminds me of old times and old friends.

365/363

No comments: