Tuesday 27 October 2009

It’s not called Iceland for nothing

I don’t know about anyone else but I’m beginning to grow a list of places that I could probably visit again and again and never tire of them. Uluru/Ayers Rock is one, as is the Kruger. This year I’ve added another to the list – Jokulsarlon – a lake at the edge of the Vatnjokull glacier. A glacier bordering water means – icebergs. Lots of them.

The other thing about this lake is that you can take a boat among the ‘bergs – like

this one. Get onto on dry land – then it drives into the water and becomes a boat. Sadly , in spite of it being a wonderful evening, we didn’t do this. We arrived late afternoon, having spent all day driving from the fjordlands of the south-east, and concluded that we could come back next day. Hah!! We had considered the changeability of Icelandic weather.

There’s an old saying about making hay while the sun shines – it also applies to boat trips. The next two days were truly foul with a force 8 wind and regular heavy showers. So. I’m glad I took the following while I had the chance.

All was not lost the next  day though – the  rough weather had washed a number of the ‘bergs out of the lake and they were washed up on the local beach. The only challenge was photography in the pouring rain and howling wind.

No comments: